Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Don't Say It!

In the movie “Brighton Beach Memoirs”, the lead character monologues about diseases. Hey says that when you say the name of a bad disease, you have to whisper it, or you will get it yourself. “My uncle has pancreititis” or “My brother died of cancer”. Especially cancer. That word is the worst possible thing. Nobody says it except doctors and patients.

When I see people I know, they never say cancer. It is “how are you feeling?” and “how are you doing?”, “how did it go last time”, and “I am proud of you for how you are handling this.” Here is a list of things people don’t say:

“How is your cancer?”
“Beat that cancer yet?”
“Has your cancer gotten worse?”
“How is the cancer fight going?”
“You look great for a cancer patient.”

Don’t get me wrong, people are truly concerned and their support is awesome. But it is interesting how cancer provokes such caution with people’s words. Maybe other patients are different, but I am not ashamed or embarrassed about my cancer. I have no problem talking about it or answering questions.

I am doing well. My cancer is going (or gone) away, and the treatments seem to be the reason. I have the best doctor in the world, and I am at the best hospital in the world. My wife and son brighten every day of my life. I guess if things weren’t going so well, I might not be as happy to talk about it. Maybe.

Peace and Love.
Double Goose in Your Eye.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You look great for a cancer patient my friend. Keep the fight up.
-hgnis.

Anonymous said...

Who died?
Mr Nunzio...
The shoemaker? Wow, what happened?
He had cancer...

Why is it old people always whisper what someone dies from, like my Uncle Dave, Aunt Blanche's husband, he died from a coronary...
People from the Old Country think it's bad luck to say a disease out loud, like if God hears you, he'll give it to you? My grandfather died from diptheria...
Anyway, after Uncle Dave died, he left Aunt Blanche with no money, not even insurance, and she couldn't support herself because she has asthma...
So my big hearted mother took her in with her two daughters, and my father had to take another job to support us all. Besides cutting raincoats he also sells party favors to night clubs. But I think it's getting to him, because I heard Mom say Pop was developing high blood pressure...

Anonymous said...

Cancer is a scary word - we are all scared we might get it, right?
We walk in cancer walks, send $$$ for researchers to fight against it, pray for those we know have it, mourn for those we lost to it; we just don't talk about it - at least not too much and not too loud. I believe you are helping to dispell some of our fears, Jason. Keep up the fight!! Love you - Aunt Joan