Thursday, May 18, 2006

What is Chemotherapy Like?

OK guys, a quick update...

I made it through my first round of chemo with little to no side effects. However, when I came home from the hospital, it all hit me. I have been home for 7 days, and I am doing much better now, but I was in bad shape the last week. Some highlights:
  • I don't really have energy to do anything, including type :).
  • I didn't eat much solid food until yesterday.
  • I've been in pain from the IP catheter they put in my belly.
  • I had to go to the emergency room due to low calcium. My muscles were seizing up and I could't talk or breathe.

So, that's some of the bad things. Yesterday I hit a turnaround. I ate 2 meals of solid food, which I need for energy. I walked around the hospital without a wheelchair (this is a big step). Finally, I took a shower and shaved. Man that felt good.

So, the situation is bad but getting better. I go back for another chemo treatment on the 26th. I am not looking forward to it, but I am determined to be in better shape for this treatment than I was for the last.

Thank you all for the emails, I love you guys...

5 comments:

SalvageSale Friends said...

Jason,

Your friends at SalvageSale are all praying hard for you. Keep up your spirits. Your blog name says it all. Nobody likes fighting Texans...especially cancer.

Sincerely,

Dan Parsley

lilbro77 said...

We are all proud of your stength.

Keep it up.

We love you!

Jordan

Denise Smith said...

Jason,
I am thinking about you and your family and know that you are fighting hard. You have always had a great disposition and strong determination - keep it up!

I have just accepted a position in Human Resources at MD Anderson starting July 10th. I hope they are taking good care of you. Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help.

We are praying for you!

Warm regards,
Denise Smith

Alana said...

Hey Jason,
I will stop by to see how things are going when you come back for your second round. Tell Jennifer to give me a call if she would like to have lunch in the cafeteria or something one day! Keep fighting!
Alana Bethea

Anonymous said...

Hey Fighter, I am also battling advanced stage 4 cancer at MDA. I too am from Texas. Stumbled across your site and just wanted to say I wish it all for you. I love the fact your an XBOX fan, it sure gets me through the chemo recovery days. This girl knows what you are going through and as I write this, I feel connected somehow. It's a journey, isn't it? How it changes our lives, and especially our VIEW of life, for it is all too precious.
Your fan and friend,
marla